There is an entire figurative ocean of information out there covering the benefits of chiropractic on asthma! There are safe and natural solutions to this rising epidemic.
A chiropractic adjustment has more than one way of helping people who are suffering from asthma. A more “mechanical” option is to adjust any structural problems in the ribcage and spine.(3) This allows the skeletal area around the lungs to expand and contract freely without any signs of stiffness and pain in the area.
We have talked about nerves in other posts and we will certainly talk about it many more times; your nerves control your entire body and your spine is where those nerves are rooted! The slightest misalignment (AKA subluxation) of the spine can disrupt the signal being sent through a nerve, in turn causing any number of issues in the body’s function.
The lungs are controlled by nerves that come from areas in both your cervical and thoracic (neck and upper back) spine.(1) When your chiropractor adjusts a subluxation in these certain parts of your spine, your lungs are more capable of taking in the most amount of air.(2) Basically, when your spine is aligned the nerves function right, letting your organs function properly as well.(3) This assists the asthma sufferer with symptoms and attacks.
If you or a loved one suffer from asthma, contact south Knoxville Tennessee’s Advanced Chiropractic Associates clinic today for a free consultation.
My Personal Experience
It all started sometime around second grade, possibly earlier. This is a story of a smoke-packed wedding reception, a wheezy morning, a mother that claimed, “faking it”, and a gross, blue Kool-Aid staining, carpet incident. This day ended in an ER trip and an asthma diagnosis. After that wonderous kick-start, I had troubles with asthma- especially during physical activity in the cold or near people who smoked cigarettes.
By the 5th grade I was having an asthma attack daily. That year, instead of using an inhaler every time I had an attack, I started getting “emergency” chiropractic adjustments. I had substantially less attacks the next year and then they were completely gone by Junior High.
I have had only one full-on asthma attack since grade school; it happened something like ten years later. I was a couple of months pregnant while hiking through the chilly Tahoe mountains (doing my best to keep up with my more athletic men-folk). My body was not used to the thin air of the high altitude and I was -BAM- struck with an asthma attack. It took me at least ten minutes with controlled breathing and drinking water to overcome the attack- followed by a full night’s sleep to completely restore my breathing. I sure did wish my chiropractor was with me on that trip!
When you are a patient at Advanced Chiropractic in Knoxville, TN you have access to an emergency chiropractic line allowing you to schedule appointments outside of regular business hours. Asthma attacks are a perfect reason for this type of service.
Chiropractic is a very safe option for treating the problems in your body, which makes it an ideal option to include in your asthma treatment.(9) As I mentioned before, there are many studies out there supporting the treatment of asthma with chiropractic care. Asthmatic children, especially, get so much out of chiropractic. One study involving chiropractic was done over 3 months. It revealed that, after those 3 months, the children had a much higher quality of life and the severity of their asthma was significantly lower.(5)
There was a study published just days ago involving a 9-year-old boy who frequently had medical involvement in his life.(4) The child was suffering from chronic asthma, insomnia, allergies, ADHD, amongst many other functional disorders. After subluxation treatment by a chiropractor, the asthma, along with all the other disorders, were fixed! He was also able to lower his take-as-needed medication.
Having a child is an unimaginable blessing; you want what is best when it comes to their physical, mental, and emotional health. I get concerned for other parents when I hear about children such as the one from this 2009 study where a 7-year-old boy who, since 5-months-old, suffered from chronic colds, allergies, and asthma.(6) Before starting his chiropractic treatment, he was on daily asthma and allergy prescriptions, missed 1-2 days of school due to colds and asthma symptoms, and had monthly visits to his medical doctor due to health problems.
After only two weeks of adjustments, the patient was able to stop using his daily prescription meds and his inhaler! In the first 5 months of treatment the boy only went to his medical doctor for a wellness checkup; he stopped missing school due to illness throughout the entire schoolyear.(6)
I have found a list of 25 studies(7) and a list of 22 studies(8) concerning chiropractic treatment of adults and children alike. If you would like more information on chiropractic and asthma, these two lists are the perfect places for you!
No matter your age, you can find relief from asthma and allergy symptoms (along with so many more functional disorders) through chiropractic treatment! Schedule an appointment with your Knoxville chiropractors at Advanced Chiropractic Associates today.
Advanced Chiropractic Associates, PLLC
7349 Chapman Hwy
Knoxville, TN 37920
About the Author
Kali Garcia is a natural health enthusiast. As the owner and author of Mama Tea Social, she feels drawn to heal and present the cold hard facts. Connect with her on Facebook.
[Photo credits: Top,creativecommons.org | Bottom, practicalcures.com]
1. Vertebral Subluxation and Nerve Chart. www.pinterest.com/pin/59180182588020467/.
2. Casey, Molly. “Chiropractic and Asthma: The Answer Will Leave You Breathless.” The Joint Chiropractic, www.thejoint.com/2017/09/27/chiropractic-and-asthma-the-answer-will-leave-you-breathless.
3. “Chiropractic Care in the Treatment of Asthma.” The Joint Chiropractic, www.thejoint.com/arizona/glendale/arrowhead-ranch-48016/chiropractic-care-in-the-treatment-of-asthma.
4. Stone-McCoy, Pamela, and Clifford J. Tayor. “Resolution of Asthma and Other Functional Disorders Following Chiropractic Care to Reduce Vertebral Subluxations in a Nine Year Old Male: A Case Report.” Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic, vol. 2018, 9 Apr. 2018, pp. 26–33., www.vertebralsubluxationresearch.com/2018/04/09/resolution-of-asthma-and-other-functional-disorders-following-chiropractic-care-to-reduce-vertebral-subluxations-in-a-nine-year-old-male-a-case-report/.
5. Kukurin, George W., et al. “Chronic Pediatric Asthma and Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation: A Prospective Clinical Series and Randomized Clinical Pilot Study.” Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, vol. 25, no. 8, 2001, pp. 369–377., doi:10.1067/mmt.2002.127067.
6. Alcantara, Joel, et al. “The Chiropractic Care of a Pediatric Patient with Asthma, Allergies, and Chronic Colds.” Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, vol. 2009, no. 3, 2009, pp. 1–7., doi:10.1016/j.eujim.2008.08.104.
7. Painter, Frank M. “Asthma and Chiropractic.” Chiro.Org, 17 July 2002, www.chiro.org/research/ABSTRACTS/Asthma.shtml. Abstract List.
8. “Asthma.” ICPA, icpa4kids.org/Chiropractic-Research/Asthma/. Abstract List.
9. “Chiropractic: A Safe Treatment Option.” American Chiropractic Association, www.acatoday.org/Patients-Why-Choose-Chiropractic-Chiropractic-A-Safe-Treatment-Option.
7349 Chapman Hwy
Knoxville, TN 37920, US
7:30 am - 1:00 pm
2:30 pm - 6:00 pm
7:30 am- 12:00 pm
7:30 am - 1:00 pm
2:30 pm - 7:00 pm
7:30 am - 1:00 pm
2:30 pm - 6:00 pm